There is no hiding to the fact that the Punjabi cinema is growing with a towering speed. Year after year, the standard of movies are improving to the extent that the contemporary Punjabi movies are not just limited to screens in Punjab, but, to other parts of the nation as well.
The previous year in 2017 saw movies which went on to enter the record books, both commercially and critically. Not one, but, both these factors are necessary for the overall expansion of the Punjabi industry. Smeep Kang’s ‘Laavaan Phere’ has rung up the curtain in terms of gaining both accolades and opulence post its release. Here is the list of seven upcoming Punjabi movies which can emulate Laavaan Phere’s performance later in the year:
- Laung Laachi (March 9) – ‘Laung Laachi’, Amberdeep Singh’s second directorial venture, is all in readiness to be released on the upcoming Friday. Apart from directing the movie, Amberdeep Singh is also playing the lead role opposite Neeru Bajwa & Ammy Virk. This triangular love story has a uniqueness attached to it. Visit a cinema hall near you on this Friday to see as to who ends up being the laung to the laachi in Neeru Bajwa.
- Sajjan Singh Rangroot (March 23) – Pankaj Batra’s ‘Sajjan Singh Rangroot’ is the nearest release of all the movies in the list and the trailer for the film is also out. Written by Gurpreet Singh Palheri, the movie is set to be a first-of-its-kind in the Punjabi industry. Diljit Dosanjh, Yograj Singh, Jagjeet Sandhu and Dheeraj Kumar are playing pivotal roles in the movie which will mark the first Punjabi movie of Sunanda Sharma. The movie lays emphasis on the onerous manner in which the Lahore Regiment of the Indian British Army fought against the German forces during the World War I.
- Subedar Joginder Singh (April 6) – Simerjit Singh’s ‘Subedar Joginder Singh’ is a biographical drama based on the life Subedar Joginder Singh, who achieved martyrdom while fighting against China in Indo-China war of 1962. The trailer of the movie is yet to release. It has been shot in the extreme conditions of Kargil. The movie features a plethora of actors like Gippy Grewal and Aditi Sharma in the lead along side Guggu Gill, Karamjit Anmol, Sardar Sohi, Harish Verma, Roshan Prince, Jaggi Singh, Kulwinder Billa, Rajvir Jawanda, Charan, Jordan Sandhu and others.
- Golak Bugni Bank Te Batua (April) – Last month, the Punjabi audience were filled with excessive zeal when Amrinder Gill announced across his social media handles that his upcoming movie, ‘Golak Bugni Bank Te Batua’, will hit the big screens in April (Date is yet to be confirmed) this year. Directed by Ksshitij Chaudhary, the movie is expected to be outright comic lines. The movie also stars Harish Verma, who has worked alongside Amrinder Gill in ‘Daddy Cool Munde Fool’. Simi Chahal is playing the female lead in the movie.
- Daana Paani (May 4) – Tarnvir Singh Jagpal’s ‘Daana Paani’ will hit the celluloid on May 4. The movie stars a never-seen-before pair in Jimmy Sheirgill and Simi Chahal. Jass Grewal, an acclaimed in the field of writing movies, has written this movie as well. Veteran actress Nirmal Rishi is also playing a vital role in the movie. To the fans of Tarsem Jassar, this might please them that he will also be seen in this movie. However, the details of his appearance are being kept under wraps. The movie is being produced under the banner of Shri Narottam Films & Nanokey Studios.
- Harjeeta (May 18) – Vijay Kumar Arora’s ‘Harjeeta’ is based on the life of Harjeet Singh Tuli, India’s captain in the Men’s Hockey Junior World Cup (HJWC) 2016. It highlights the life-changing journey of Harjeet Singh, under whom India won the title. Ammy Virk will portray Harjeet Singh on-screen. Virk’s transformation has already stormed the social media for the right reasons. The effort that he has put in losing weight is inexplicable. Omjee Group’s Munish Sahni is producing this sports biopic alongside Bhagwant Virk of Villager Studios.
- Carry On Jatta 2 (June 1) – Sequel to Smeep Kang’s 2012-blockbuster comedy ‘Carry On Jatta’, ‘Carry On Jatta 2′ will release on June 1 to commence the holiday season. The addition of a couple of new names in Sonam Bajwa and Upasana Singh has bolstered the cast, which is more or less the same of what it was in the first part that includes names like Gippy grewal, Binnu Dhillon, Gurpreet Ghuggi, Jaswinder Bhalla, Karamjit Anmol, B N Sharma to name a few. Smeep Kang is back as writer alongside Naresh Kathooria who has done the writing part of the film. The shooting of the movie has already been completed. It will be released under the banner of White Hill Studios and is being produced by Gunbir Singh Sidhu and Manmord Sidhu.
- Qismat (September 21) – Upon the release of Ammy Virk’s single track named ‘Qismat’ last year, no one would have thought that the title will take the shape of a movie within a span of a year. Sargun Mehta, a hit-machine in the Punjabi industry, will play the female lead opposite Virk in the movie. The movie is being directed by Jagdeep Sidhu who has written Ammy Virk’s Nikka Zaildar series and the yet to be released, Harjeeta. The shooting of the movie is underway at the moment in Chandigarh.
The above mentioned films were the ones which we felt would be the big ones to look forward to in 2018. You can also comment your picks and the films you are looking forward to in the year. Stay tuned to Punjabi Mania for more updates!