Top Breakouts from Punjabi movies: Punjabi Mania presents before you six names who gained instant popularity with their acting and direction in the year 2018
With the culmination of a groundbreaking 2018 for the entertainment industry in Punjab, it is the most apt time to take a look at who all have been doing the rounds throughout the year. With the canvas of Punjabi movies growing with each passing year, it is indispensable to foreground the names who are doing the rounds.
We have put forward three directors and three debutant actors who created a significant impact in the minds of the audiences this year. The fact that all the three top debutant actors are females speaks highly about the arrival of new virtuoso actresses in our industry.
Top Breakouts from Punjabi movies 2018
1) Amberdeep Singh – Writer Amberdeep Singh had turned director with ‘Lahoriye‘ in 2017. Making quick inroads across departments, Amberdeep Singh was seen debuting as a lead actor in ‘Laung Laachi‘ (also directed by him) this year. As the year came to a close, he had directed two more movies (‘Ashke‘ and ‘Bhajjo Veero Ve‘) and acted as a lead actor in the second one.
In which was a hectic year for him, Amberdeep Singh came up with movies at regular intervals, making him only the second director (after Smeep Kang) to direct three movies this year.
2) Mandeep Benipal – Having made his directorial debut with ‘Ekam – Son of Soil’ (2010), Mandeep Benipal directed ‘Sadda Haq’ and ‘Yoddha’, both of which were highly appreciated among the audiences. The reason behind mentioning Benipal’s name in the Breakouts list is the fact that his fourth movie in ‘Dakuaan Da Munda‘ came after a hiatus of as many years.
In which sort of a second innings for him, Benipal stood tall on the expectations yet again. From creating a historic havoc at the box-office on Day 1 to becoming the highest-earner pan-India, Dakuaan Da Munda was an undoubted super-hit movie.
Benipal might have only one release in 2018, his comeback has lined up a couple of projects for him in 2019. The first one in ‘Kaka Ji‘ will release on January 18 this year. The second in ‘DSP Dev‘ will release later in the year.
3) Jagdeep Sidhu – Apart from writing the script of Vijay Kumar Arora’s ‘Harjeeta‘, writer Jagdeep Sidhu was seen making his directorial debut with ‘Qismat’. The movie ended up becoming the second-highest grosser of the year. The film was an epitome of the fact that an outright love story can also bring in the finances, provided it is made in the most honest manner without adding uncalled for sequences in it.
In which was a rare case, Sidhu had signed another film in the capacity of a director before the release of his first film, which speaks highly about his calibre and the trust producers have shown in him. In ‘Shadaa‘, Sidhu’s next movie (starring Diljit Dosanjh and Neeru Bajwa) will release on June 21.
4) Roopi Gill – While everyone was gearing up for Roopi Gill‘s debut in Kuldeep Kaushik’s ‘Vadda Kalakaar’ during the winter season, she astonished everyone by not just her presence but her craft on the celluloid in Ashke in July. In which a widely praised debut, not for a moment did she give indications of acting in her first movie.
With her also appearing in several single tracks throughout the year, she had been in front of the screen in 2018. It is worth mentioning that she is currently shooting for her third movie opposite Harish Verma.
5) Tania – Having made her acting debut in Qismat this year, Tania went on to sign a couple of movies for 2019. Despite a limited role in the movie, she was both confident and convincing which forced the audiences to express admiration for her acting.
Tania will now be seen alongside Sonam Bajwa and Gurnam Bhullar in Vijay Kumar Arora’s ‘Guddiyan Patole‘ and alongside Tarsem Singh Jassar and Simi Chahal in debutant director Sharan Singh’s ‘Rabb Da Radio 2‘.
6) Sawan Rupowali – Another female newcomer, Sawan Rupowali made her debut as a lead actress opposite Ammy Virk in Harjeeta. Right from her playing the love interest of the protagonist to also playing a hockey player in the movie, Rupowali’s performance had it in it to be raved about. She will be next seen in opposite Jagjeet Sandhu in debutant director Kunwar Singh’s ‘Unni Ikki‘.